It is absolutely going to happen. You are out for the day, or you have to go out for some reason unexpectedly. You either didn’t plan a meal, or didn’t prepare one ahead of time.
If you start grabbing whatever food you can find, you are going to create problems for yourself.
If your body is already in Ketosis (fat burning state), it is used to burning fat for fuel, not carbs or sugar. If you say to yourself “Just this once” and eat something with a high carb count, it will knock your system for a loop. A huge loop. Your blood chemistry will go crazy.
But even worse, you will probably kick yourself right out of ketosis. After all the time and trouble you took to get yourself into, you can go out pretty much instantly with the wrong meal.
- Burgers without the bun. This one is quite easy and obvious. You can still put mayo on it, and wrap it in the lettuce. You can have salsa, avocado, mustard, onions and tomato on top. Always check ingredients with the restaurant for hidden carbs or sugar. Especially with any pre made sauces they have.
Here are some of the more popular brands and their macro makeup. As always, watch the carb content. All are without a bun.
- Five Guys Bacon Cheeseburger : 0 grams of carbs, 370 calories, 30 grams of fat, 24 grams of protein
- McDonald’s Double Cheeseburger: 4 grams of carbs, 270 calories, 21 grams of fat, and 20 grams of protein.
- Sonic Double Bacon Cheeseburger: 3 grams of carbs , 638 calories, 49 grams of fat, and 40 grams of protein
- Wendy’s Double Stack Cheeseburger (no bun): 1 gram of carbs, 260 calories, 20 grams of fat, and 20 grams of protein.
- Hardees ⅓ lb Thickburger with cheese and bacon (no bun): 36 grams of fat, 430 calories,, 0 grams of carbs and 21 grams of protein.
Most restaurants will know what you are talking about when you say bunless or low carb. They are actually already familiar with the concept from serving people with diabetes.
For a whole bunch of recipes, tips, and help with getting into and staying Keto, go and check out my FREE website at RockThat Keto.com.
Have a healthy happy day!